Top 7 Easy & Natural Home Remedies To Stop And Prevent Bad Breath
Home Remedies for Bad Breath:
Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is embarrassing and can take a toll on your confidence level. Bad breath can be due to a number of reasons such as eating odorous foods, smoking, dry mouth, medical conditions, gum disease, and sinus conditions.
However, the primary cause of bad breath is the bacteria that build up on the back of your tongue or between your teeth.
Maintaining good oral health is essential to controlling bad breath. This includes regular tooth brushing, flossing and tongue scraping.
Most bad breath starts in your mouth, and there are many possible causes that include: certain foods you eat (garlic and onions, in particular), alcohol or cigarettes, poor oral hygiene, gum disease, diabetes, dry mouth, sinus or throat infections, lung infections, kidney/liver failure and gastrointestinal issues.
Here are the top 7 home remedies
Fennel acts as an excellent mouth freshener that helps control bad breath. It also contains antimicrobial properties that fight the bacteria in the mouth.
- Slowly chew a tablespoon of fennel to freshen your breath and stimulate the production of saliva.
- You can also drink fennel tea a couple of times a day. To make this tea, steep one or two teaspoons of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes.
Cloves help freshen your breath and also have antibacterial properties that are very helpful in getting rid of bad breath.
- The easiest method is to pop a few pieces of cloves into your mouth and chew them thoroughly. This will eliminate bad breath in a few minutes.
- You can also make clove tea. Boil a cup of water, add one teaspoon of ground cloves and allow it to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Drink the tea or use it as a mouthwash twice a day.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda, also known as bicarbonate of soda, is another great solution for getting rid of and preventing bad breath. It helps balance the levels of acid that contribute to bad breath. Plus, it fights oral bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and use it as a mouth rinse once daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- Brushing your teeth with baking soda will also help reduce the acidity in your mouth and prevent bacteria from building up on your tongue.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antiseptic properties that act like a powerful disinfectant for your mouth. You can get the benefits from tea tree oil in a variety of ways.
- Brush your teeth with a toothpaste containing tea tree oil.
- Another option is to put a few drops of tea tree oil on your toothbrush along with your regular toothpaste.
- You can also mix a few drops of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and lemon oil in a glass of water and use it as a mouthwash.
Parsley contains chlorophyll that can help neutralize bad breath.
- Simply chew on a fresh parsley sprig to refresh your breath. You can also dip this herb in vinegar and then chew it thoroughly.
- Another option is to put parsley leaves through a juicer and sip the juice anytime you need to refresh your breath. It will also aid digestion.
Cinnamon contains cinnamic aldehyde, an essential oil that not only covers up bad breath, but also reduces the amount of bacteria in your mouth.
To treat bad breath follow this remedy twice daily.
- Boil one teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water.
- You may add some bay leaves and cardamom too.
- Strain the solution and use it as a mouth rinse to refresh your breath.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Due to its pH balancing effects, apple cider vinegar makes a wonderful remedy for bad breath. You can try any of these remedies depending on your preference.
- Stir one tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and drink it before eating your meals. The vinegar will help in digestion as well as cure bad breath.
- Gargle with apple cider vinegar mixed in a cup of water.